Saturday, November 1, 2008

Right where I wanna be

Had a wonderful day for my drive to Bethlehem, PA. Arrived, dropped by bags off and since the house I'm staying at while here, is located close to the Obama campaign office, I walked. It's an historic area of the city and I took pictures along the way which I'll upload later. The office is right dab smack on Main Street in the historic area.

What can I say, the phrase used by more than one person is managed chaos. But everyone spirits and energy level area high...well mainly the volunteers. The staff are close to looking like deer in your headlights (is that the phrase?). In any event, lots of folks from NY and NJ. Having spent the fours days in the Manchester office leading up to the New Hampshire Primary, I know you must keep bugging the field staff to ensure you are assigned work. My task was pleasant which was to call individuals who had indicated their willingness to travel to PA and help out. The list I had were people in the New York area and a number of them already planned to go to the Philly. Let's just say that I quickly got very territorial that Philly was poaching "our" volunteers. I know, it's all for the same cause but it's interesting how quickly you bond with a particular location, especially when you like the people. Most of the folks I spoked with were nice and "normal" but there was one guy, whose enthusiasm was so strong that I was concern, given this area of PA, that he should go to Philly. He immigrated from Haiti and spoke English with a thick accent. Although I loved and appreciated his emphatic insistence that Obama will/must be the next POTUS, I could imagine him trying to persuade someone who was undecided/didn't want to share their decision, why their only option is to vote for Obama. But luckily, he was unable to travel to this area. Whew...

So the excitement for my first day was Ed Rendell dropping by to give a pep talk and to caution us not to believe polls indicating Obama has double digit lead. Hey, all we need is to win by ONE vote (after all the voter suppression and any other mischief). Apparently the RNC is trying a robocall trick. I picked up an office phone to hear a recorded message, supposedly from Obama HQ stating that this area had too many McCain-Palin signs and not as many Obama sign and that we should place them in strategic locations and not just one sign but two. Not sure of the logic of this unless they just want to steal signs. In any event we didn't follow up on the "suggestions."

I'll end on a fun note and again you will see the pictures but local residents came by the office with their kids dress in halloween customes. The one famil who grabbed everyhones attention were the parents dress as a trea and their little, girl dressed as an apply. She was sooooo adorable. They temporarily stole the show from the Gov.

Well canvassing on Saturday and gear up for Carolyn Kennedy on Sunday.

No comments: